
MADRID (THE GUARDIAN) - Portugal and Juventus footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted to committing tax fraud while playing for Real Madrid and agreed to pay an €18.8 million (S$29 million) fine after striking a deal with prosecutors and tax authorities in return for a 23-month suspended prison sentence.
Ronaldo, 33, had been accused of defrauding the authorities of €14.8 million in unpaid taxes between 2011 and 2014.
In 2017, Madrid's regional state prosecutor alleged that the player had used what it deemed to be a shell company in the Virgin Islands to "create a screen in order to hide his total income from Spain's tax office".
It said Ronaldo "intentionally" did not declare income of €28.4 million related to image rights, and declared €11.5m of earnings from 2011 to 2014 when his real income was almost €43 million.
The prosecutor also alleged that the forward falsely reported income as coming from real estate, which it said had greatly reduced his tax rate.
Ronaldo arrived in court in Madrid on Tuesday morning (Jan 22), wearing sunglasses and a black blazer and accompanied by his partner, Georgina Rodriguez.
His request to be allowed to enter the provincial court through an underground car park was denied.
"I am very well," the five-time Ballon d'Or winner told reporters outside the court after the brief hearing.
The hearing came six months after Ronaldo agreed a deal that would see him spared jail if he paid fines totalling almost €19 million.
In Spain, a judge can suspend sentences for two years or less for first-time offenders.
Meanwhile, the trial of Ronaldo's former Real Madrid teammate Xabi Alonso, also in court on Tuesday over accusations of tax fraud, was suspended, a court magistrate said.
Prosecutors were seeking a five-year jail sentence and a fine of €4 million for the Spaniard, who retired as a player in 2017, accusing him of defrauding the Spanish state of about €2 million between 2010 and 2012.
Alonso said he was confident he had not committed a crime and would have to wait while the magistrates evaluated his case.
"I'd be worried if I thought I had something to hide or something I didn't do right but, as that isn't the case, I am carrying on," Alonso told reporters.

Win over Watford more like draw: Ole. But, after the 2-1 Premier League win over Watford on Saturday, courtesy of goals from Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial, the 46-year-old admitted that
Win over Watford more like draw: Ole - theworldnews.net

It's hard not to feel a little bad for Spurs, though, and wonder how this match would've played out if not for that pivotal early call against them that, as their fans suspected, proved too
"All Cried Out" but NOT Giving Up! 😭 - YouTube

Cristiano Ronaldo will spearhead Juventus' old guard as they look to finish the job on Tuesday against Ajax's impressive young guns in a quarter-final clash between two sides desperate to end
Football: Juventus's old guard bidding to finish job against

After giving up 39 points to Damian Lillard in the opener, the Denver Nuggets were determined to make sure Portland's role players would have to bear the burden of evening up the series. CJ
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Denver Nuggets Live Score and

Dec 16 (Reuters) - Chelsea consolidated fourth place in the Premier League with a 2-1 win at Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday that became harder work than had seemed likely in the first half
Chelsea hold on against Brighton to consolidate top four EPL

Your Best Football News Source Neymar hits half-century mark as PSG are held by Nice. season with a 1-1 Ligue 1 draw at home to Nice, with Neymar notching his
UPDATE 1-Soccer-Neymar hits half-century as PSG are held by Nice

Barcelona wrapped up their 26th LaLiga title as Lionel Messi came off the bench to score the winner in a 1-0 victory over Levante on Saturday that could be the catalyst for treble success.

Hugo Lloris believes that Tottenham Hotspur will face the most in-form team in the Premier League when they go up against Liverpool at Anfield. The North London outfit travel to Merseyside on the
Hugo Lloris fears Tottenham may have to WIN Champions League

MANCHESTER: Manchester City celebrated their domestic treble with an open-top bus parade on Monday, drawing an estimated 100,000 fans to the streets of the city centre. Pep Guardiola's City side
Treble Winners Manchester City Enjoy Parade | Football News

Football: Italy upset Australia at Women's World Cup with Bonansea double; As Canarinhas thump Reggae Girlz 1 day ago VALENCIENNES, France (REUTERS, THE GUARDIAN) - Barbara Bonansea scored twice to give Italy a surprise, last-gasp 2-1 victory against Australia in their opening Group C game at the women's football World Cup on Sunday (June 9).
Soccer: Italy upset Australia with Bonansea double

Juve foiled by Gervinho brace after leading 3-1. by moutasem quffa. February 3, 2019. in Football, Sports. 0. Soccer Football - Serie A - Juventus v Parma - Allianz
Juve foiled by Gervinho brace after leading 3-1 | The Dawnlit

Manchester City could be hit with a transfer ban - report A transfer ban for the Premier League champions would come less than a month after Chelsea were hit with the same sanction.
Man City could get transfer ban: report - theworldnews.net

#Real Madrid #Paris Saint-Germain #Neymar father #PSG extension more likely #Ream Madrid switch # India football: इगोर स्टिमैक ने
Neymar PSG extension more likely than Madrid switch: Father

DUBLIN, June 10 (Reuters) - Ireland had an own goal by Joseph Chipolina and an injury-time header by substitute Robbie Brady to thank for a 2-0 win over Gibraltar in their Euro 2020 Group D
0 comments:
Post a Comment