Pages

Football: You can reach 1,000 goals, Pele tells French star Kylian Mbappe

Football: You can reach 1,000 goals, Pele tells French star Kylian Mbappe

PARIS (AFP) - Football legend Pele told Kylian Mbappe on Tuesday (April 2) that he believes the French World Cup winner can emulate his own achievement of scoring 1,000 career goals.
The 78-year-old Brazilian claims to have netted over 1,000 goals in his career, while Mbappe has so far managed 103 in total, with 92 of those coming at the top level.
"It's possible, I scored exactly 1,025, so 1,000 goals is possible for him," Pele told AFP in Paris, where he met Mbappe at a sponsor event for Hublot watches.
Mbappe, who last year became only the second teenager to score in a World Cup final after Pele in France's 4-2 victory over Croatia, played down Pele's comments.
"I think that even if we count the goals on inter-city pitches and goals on the PlayStation, I won't be able to reach the 1,000-goal mark," said the 20-year-old Paris St Germain forward.
"We will try to get as close as we can, but I think I'll be a long way off it at the end of my career."
Mbappe has scored 32 goals in all competitions for PSG this season, including 27 from only 24 Ligue 1 appearances.
Pele was only 21 when he won his second World Cup in 1962, adding a third eight years later.
"There's only one 'King' and he's there," said Mbappe. "I'm just Kylian, I'm trying to do my best to help my team and my national side.
"The comparisons are flattering but I know very well that I will never do what he did."
It was not the first time that Mbappe has had to temper comparisons with Pele, after a rush to crown him a future footballing great during the World Cup in Russia, where he scored four goals in total.
But the former Monaco striker insists that he is not focused on becoming the best player of modern times.
"When Pele was playing, he didn't think he wanted to be the best player in history, he wanted to have fun, help his country and his club, which he did," he said.
"What I want is to help PSG, the France team and afterwards it will be other people who tell you that you are the best.
"Everyone says that he is the best, but if you are (the best), there's no need to say it. It's not a goal for me."
Pele spent the majority of his career at Santos in his home country, bar a spell in the United States with the New York Cosmos shortly before his retirement.
He told Mbappe, who has been repeatedly linked with a move away from PSG, that the key to smashing goalscoring records is playing in the very best teams.
"People tend to say that goals are the most important thing - I thank God for having scored so many in my career - but we must know that we need to be well-supported, you can't score on your own, you need good teammates, that's very important."
Mbappe and his Paris teammates have only the French Cup left to fight for this season, with the Ligue 1 title all but secured and their Champions League campaign over after a humiliating defeat by Manchester United.



NYTimes.com Site Map. For a comprehensive guide to our site, please see the Site Index.
07 May 2019 News Archive | Daily Mail Online | Daily Mail Online


Football: 'Angry' Thomas Muller questions Joachim Low



English Premier League: Willian gem sinks Newcastle as Chelsea cement fourth place Description: Salomon Rondon flicked a header towards Ayoze Perez and he accelerated away from Antonio Rudiger, only to shoot woefully wide with just Kepa Arrizabalaga to beat.
Willian gem sinks Newcastle as Chelsea cement fourth place



LONDON: Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette scored twice in the first half and fellow striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang snatched a last-gasp third goal to secure a 3-1 win over Valencia in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday.
Football: Lacazette double helps Arsenal beat Valencia 3-1 in



Jose Mourinho has rejected managerial offer from an old club and has no plans to return to Portugal at the moment. Jose Mourinho rejects first managerial offer since Manchester United sacking
Jose Mourinho aims transfer dig at Man Utd board and reveals


Football: Holders USA shrug off weight of Women's World Cup


Objective-shy and toothless Terriers finish 2 years in prime



About; Privacy; Terms; Cookie Policy; Careers; Help; Feedback © 2019 IAC Publishing, LLC
Newspapers | Media | Virginia Bus
virginiabus.info/business/uob-chief-says-why-not-let-someone-outside-the-family-succeed-him/
"I will always, as I said, take in people with the right values," Wee Ee Cheong, 66, who took the reins from his father in 2007, said in an interview. "If they can do the job, why not?" UOB is the only Singapore bank that's still run by a family after OCBC Bank and others chose outsiders as their CEO or merged.
Newspapers | Media | Virginia Bus
virginiabus.info/business/samurai-2k-aerosals-full-year-profit-down-10-8-on-weaker-sales/
The Catalist-listed company declared a final dividend of S$0.005 per share, compared to a S$0.006 per share dividend payout a year ago. Revenue dropped 19.3 per cent to RM72.6 million from RM90 million on weaker exports to Indonesia.
The Legalisms of the Law, the Leader and Latheefa ― M



How Much Cash Should Your Business Keep in the Bank? It Depends on Your Spending Habits. I have decided that $30,000 is still less than I'd like to have in the bank, but I absolutely don't have to worry with that amount stashed away.
How Much Money Can a Person Have/Keep In a Bank Account



She does not throw furniture December 31 in Uncategorized by jimc No Comments. canada goose uk shop I am always skeptical of the information coming from the media. It is not necessarily always the media who I think are at fault for not reporting the facts, though.
LookWAYup
lookwayup.com/lwu.exe/lwu/d
definition of - senses, usage, synonyms, thesaurus. Online Dictionaries: Definition of Options|Tips Options|Tips
Full text of "The Times , 1993, UK, English" - archive.org



Eden Hazard marked his 100th cap with an early goal to set Belgium on their way to a comfortable 2-0 away win over Cyprus in their Euro 2020 qualifier on Sunday.
Hazard marks milestone with early goal to help Belgium win



Singaporean Akbar Nawas has been named the I-League's best coach after leading Chennai City to their first title earlier this month. The Indian team swept seven out of 10 categories at the I
Singapore's Akbar is best coach in I-League | Sports Love Me
sportsloveme.com/soccer/singapores-akbar-is-best-coach-in-i-league/
Singapore's Akbar is best coach in I-League 03/25/2019 AKBA , AWARDS AND PRIZES , India Singaporean Akbar Nawas has been named the I-League's best coach after leading Chennai City to their first title earlier this month.
Singapore's Akbar is best coach in I-League - theworldnews.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment